The foundation date of the Hartlepool (in County Durham, N E England) Congregation is not known, but the Cemetery was acquired in 1865, seven years before the Synagogue was consecrated in 1872. The latter event generated publicity in the local press and the Jewish Chronicle.. The Hartlepool Congregation closed in 1967 and its members amalgamated with the Middlesbrough Hebrew Congregation (now also defunct). The premises were demolished in the early 1970’s, but the Congregational silver can be viewed by prior arrangement with the Hartlepool Borough Council. At the peak there were some 40 families in the Congregation.
In the period up to 1885 the deceased from Middlesbrough were also buried at Hartlepool, being transferred by ferry. The earliest burials in the old Middlesbrough Cemetery were mostly infants, and presumably the many early unmarked graves in Hartlepool are of infants from both Middlesbrough and Hartlepool; the earliest known burial at Hartlepool is dated 1877 from the gravestone.
Queries about the Cemetery can be addressed to: Tel: +44 (0)1923 852662 or +44 (0)191 284 0959.
The Cemetery is still in occasional use. It is open at all hours. To reach it approach the north side of the town from the A19, onto the A179. Look for signs to “The Headland”. At the (ancient looking) old pumping station on the left, turn left into Old Cemetery Road, The Jewish Cemetery is beyond the large Municipal Cemetery shortly before the factory.