At the commencement of hostilities the Ladies Guild was headed by that enthusiastic worker Mrs. B. M. Marks who was then President of the Society, ably supported by Mrs. L. Miller, Treasurer, and Mrs. D. Marks, Secretary. Mrs. B. Marks then left the town, and her position was competently undertaken byMrs. J. Brechner, the rest of the Committee remained the same.
The Synagogue Building Fund, was presented with £50 in 1940, £50 in 1941, and again £50 in 1943. In 1944, it was decided to grant £100, earmarked for the Communal Hall, and in 1945, another instalment of £100 was presented to the Communal Hall Building Fund.
Other activities ably carried out by the Ladies Synagogue Fund, are the presentation of Mantles for the SEFORIM.
Each year money has been provided for prizes for the children attending the Hebrew Classes.
The garden in front of the Synagogue has been kept in order, and money has also been given annually towards decorating the Synagogue on SHEVUOTH.
Last but by no means least, special mention should be afforded to the Social evenings for H. M. Forces, given by numerous members of the Congregation, under the auspices of the Ladies Guild, who by the warm hospitality, brought a little comfort and warmth into many a lonely Service man or womans heart.
The Ladies Guild also organised a Luncheon in aid of the Belsen horror Victims at which£207 was raised.
Middlesbrough Hebrew Board of Guardians
ChairmanH. Addis, Esq.
Hon. TreasurerArthur Cohen, Esq. Hon. Secretary Rev. G. Wulwik
The organisation has helped to relieve those who were in need of assistance, and is always ready to do so, whenever called upon. We in Middlesbrough, are fortunate not to have too many local calls, yet in spite of this, our yearly collections do not meet with our expenditure, and were it not for a few large yearly donations, from out of town, etc., we could not pay our way.
It is our earnest hope that in the coming year all members of the community will also become members of the Board of Guardians.